Monday, January 10, 2011

Global Warming In My Belly

Sledding at Piedmont Park.
Photo courtesy of The Veg
At the present moment Atlanta is encased in a shell of ice. I thought I left this ice and snow behind in Ohio, but apparently it has followed me here. And because there are about 5 snow plows, the city has essentially shut down. I went to sleep Sunday night with beautiful big fluffy snow flakes falling from the sky and I awoke Monday morning to the sound of sleet pelting my window. This is not a good sign.


Mornings aren't necessarily my favorite, but cold mornings are even worse. This morning I played a little game I like to call "how-can-I-turn-off-my-alarm-clock-without-getting-out-from-underneath-my-covers-because-it-feels-like-it's-12 degrees-in-my-bedroom". This was trickier than you think because my alarm clock is located on the other side of the room.

When I get married I think I'll institute the following rule on cold mornings: I will make you dinner and do the laundry if you make the coffee in the morning, turn the shower on for me so the water gets hot before I get there and put my towel in the dryer so it's warm when I get out of the shower. I think that's more than fair.


On this cold winter morning I thought of the last time that it was uncomfortably hot outside to remind myself that the grass is not always greener. Vietnam and the trip I took there in September immediately came to mind. It was extremely hot and humid there, but, memories of the country's food really started warming my spirits. It can be compared to Thai and Chinese cuisines without the fattening coconut milk of Thai or the heavy oil in Chinese food. Vietnamese food also has a significant French influence, particularly in Ho Chi Minh City (aka Saigon). In a nutshell, it's light and flavorful... worth the flight over there.




With Vietnam as my inspiration I decided to make Chicken Soup with Rice this Monday. The flavors are akin to Pho, which is probably Vietnam's most well known dish to Americans. The soy sauce and fish sauce combine with red chili, cilantro, green onions and lime to give the soup a nice savory, spicy, sour flavor. The heat from the chilis warmed me up and the chicken and rice filled me up. It was a perfect recipe for a cold week. Next time I'll try the soup with rice noodles.



Here's the recipe...

Vietnamese Chicken Soup

Combine the following ingredients in the insert of a slow cooker:

8 cups chicken broth
2-4 frozen chicken breasts
1 cup dry rice (I used basmati)
1 TB soy sauce
1 TB fish sauce
1-2 TB chili garlic sauce (Huy Fong is the brand I used)

Cook on low for 6 hours.

Shred the chicken.
Add the following ingredients:
A bag of sliced cabbage and carrots (I used a bag of slaw to add veggies to the soup)
Optional: 1 sliced red chili pepper (for more spice and it looks pretty when serving)

Cook on low for an additional 2 hours.

Serve with cilantro, chopped green onions and fresh lime juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment