Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Chicken and Rice and Everything Nice

I recently read that 80% of the American population owns a slow cooker. That is 4 out of 5 people in this country, which seems astonishingly high to me when 50% of the population is male, not to mention 1% of the population is homeless and 0.75% of the population is in prison.

Even if this statistic is true, what percentage of that population that has actually taken their slow cookers out of their cabinet since they received it as a wedding or house-warming gift, I'm not sure.

But one thing is for sure, one of those 4 out of 5 people that likes to cook slow is my aunt, who gave me this week's recipe. It is the epitome of simplicity - there are 4 ingredients, all of which you probably have on hand and no preparation is required. And it's very very tasty and pretty healthy. Thanks Aunt Jane!

4 Ingredient Chicken and Rice
Place the following ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours.

4 frozen chicken breasts

2 cans of black beans


16 oz fresh salsa

1/2 cup rice

Optional: 1/4 c molasses or brown sugar for a touch of sweetness


And let's not forget that this Monday was President's Day. Enjoy!










3 comments:

  1. I tried this dish, and it was simple yet satisfyingly delicious! I added a bag of frozen corn to this dish (so I didn't have to make a side vegetable), and I think it turned out quite well.

    Keep the recipes flowing, Jen!

    ReplyDelete