Wednesday, February 16, 2011

World: 1 Jen: 0

I think the world is working against me. I try to be a productive member of society and go to work. I try to eat my 3 to 5 servings of vegetables a day (or whatever the USDA dictates these days). But both of these things contributed to my complete failure this Crockpot Monday.

I found a good recipe for Creamy Broccoli Soup in an issue of Real Simple that I wanted to try. This one enticed me because it was a healthier version - read this as no whipping cream, half and half or milk. Albeit it wasn't a crockpot recipe but I tried to adapt it to my slow cooker. Happily I left home on Monday morning knowing that when I returned from work I would have a big bowl of healthy goodness waiting for me. 10 hours later, quite the opposite awaited me. I had a feeling that my dreams were about to be dashed when, 10 feet outside my door I started to smell rotting eggs or a baby's diaper or something equally disgusting. It was a formidable scent... stung the nostrils.


Source: realsimple.com
What I should've been eating.

The broccoli and potatoes had been slowing cooking (good) and then burning (bad) throughout the day. Apparently I should have added more liquid and shouldn't have left it to cook for 10 hours. I also added too much red pepper (damn you brown people for making me think I'm resistant to heat). So even after I blended the ingredients to form an eye-enticing velvety green soup it just tasted like spicy burnt compost.

It was leftovers for me. World: 1  Jen: 0. I'm ready for a rematch. See you next Monday, world.


2 comments: