Monday, March 28, 2011

Boeuf Bourguignon for the Lay Person

After taking a few weeks off of the crockpot cooking, I've decided to retake the helm of the S.S. Slow Cooker. This Monday I took it up a notch and made Beef Bourguignon. But this is not Julia Child's Boeuf Bourguignon recently made re-famous by the book/movie Julie and Julia. This is my mom's Beef Bourguignon, a Midwestern version of the French dish, meaning it's delicious yet simple, and it can eventually become a casserole.

Now, I'm sure my mom has been called many things in her day, but I like to call her Apple Pie with an Edge. At one hand, she is the most caring person who would always make me hot chocolate when I came in from sledding, wore homemade sweatshirts to my sporting events proclaiming that she was the proud parent of yours truly, and to this day, makes me new pillows and curtains whenever I move to a new place. But, at the same time, she'll laugh at you when you're in pain (like the time she fed my brother and I ketchup-filled donuts for April Fool's Day), she has no problem yelling at rednecks parked too long in front of a busy gas pump, and she gets no greater joy than when she forces you through a haunted house and sees the look of terror spread across your face just as your body goes limp with fear and you hit the floor.

It's no wonder that a woman with this much character can make a great stew. Tonight I took her recipe (which she makes on the stovetop) and adapted it to the crockpot. It was amazingly simple and the scent of beef and red wine that greeted me when I walked in the door reminded my of my childhood. (Is it weird that the scent of red wine reminds me of my mom and my childhood?   Just kidding, mom.) This is a very satisfying dish and perfect after a long day at the office. Bon appetit!



Beef Bourguignon

Mom's Beef Bourguignon

Combine the following ingredients in the insert of a slow cooker:
   3 cups red wine
   2 TB ketchup
   1 14-oz can beef broth (next time I might only use half a can)
   3 cloves garlic, minced
   2 TB sugar
   1/2 tsp salt
   1/4 tsp thyme
   1 bay leaf
   1/8 tsp pepper
   2 lbs cubed beef for stewing

Cook on low for 8 or more hours.

During the last hour of cooking, add:
   1 bag frozen pearl onions
   1 or 2 12-oz bags frozen mixed veggies

Top with 4 pieces cooked bacon, crumbled.

Serve with egg noodles and a glass of red.



4 comments:

  1. Oh man, watching your mom yell at those rednecks at the gas station was one of the highlights of the entire weekend. Priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH i DO LOVE your mother!!!!!!!!!!! :) Can't wait to try this sometime! Sounds delic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen,

    I love reading your posts, even when they're about food I don't eat! More vegetarian recipes please!

    Also, I'm glad to see you're on twitter!

    Love,

    Neaner

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhh this sounds so good. :) It also makes me miss your mama!

    ReplyDelete